I was sewing up a storm before our trip to the Porcupine Mountains.
Up first a variation of Kwiksew 3467. I made it short sleeved, shortened the neck facing to snug it up, added about 1/2″ to either side, and extended the length 7″ to make a dress out of the tunic.
The first one I sewed was in a thin bamboo lycra knit in a pale green. Let me stress the thin and the pale here – both features make it a fashion don’t. It was in serious need of dye job. I dyed it a lovely bright green, but failed to remember to filter the green before the dip dye. Note to self – bright green ALWAYS needs a filter job to prevent blue spots when dip dying! Insert headsmack here. I ended up with spots in places that immediately remanded it to the pajama stack and not suitable for photographs.
Never fear, momma’s personal fabric store (aka stash city) to the rescue!
I had a lovely piece of bright lime green cotton lycra, and made the pattern over again:
With the learning curve gone, it only took about 2 hours to make… I LOVE how the dart is rotated to the center, and how it fits a big busted girl just right! I think this pattern is a keeper!
Then I sewed up some lovely longer cut gauchos with the nicest waistband ever! Perfect for festival wear, I used Kwiksew 3384 and a thick piece of black cotton lycra from my stash city.
I traced it straight out of the envelope, and made no height adjustments. I admit that while the waist fits well, I am swimming in the volume of fabric in the length… But they don’t fall down with the added fabrics – the added elastic in the top band really helps! Next time, I need to pull a good 3 inches before cutting!
With a nice small dent made in the cotton lycra bin, I may need to go on a quest and find more nice fabrics to make a winter’s worth of tunics.