If I had to make a top 5 list of my kiddo’s favorite foods, I’d wager that noone, and I mean no one, would have a list similar for an 8 year old. I was remembering discussions that marketing people used to have about children’s favorite foods and how we should model our new products around them (for those of you who don’t know, I used to be a food product development geek at a major baby food manufacturer).
They were always looking for things to emulate what the “big kids” were eating, if the baby had an older brother or sister. IF my kiddo had a baby brother or sister (and no this is not pre-emptive of things to come, just hypothesizing), I don’t know if they would want to emulate this list:
1. Fondue – cheese, of course, made with swiss cheese cheddar cheese soup (my apologies for the realists out there absence of Gruyere and Emmenthaler- she likes the texture better this way – and as much as I make it, the “good stuff” would break the bank). Lots of Panera sourdough bread and diced apples for dipping. Apples and cheese – yum!
2. Spam – grilled or shredded and made into mini cupcake meatloaves.
3. Broccoli – steamed only – she can’t stand raw.
4. Spinach – raw only – she doesn’t like it’s texture after it’s been cooked. Must have bacon bits, croutons and parmesan cheese, no dressing.
5. Fettucini Alfredo – will eat it at a restaurant, but prefers homemade. I use light cream cheese and skim milk to make the “cream” part of the sauce. It comes out a bit thin, but if you don’t rinse the noodles, the sauce thickens up nicely to look just like you expect it to.
Maybe next, I’ll make a list of what she won’t eat….!
So, I’m just curious…. What do NORMAL 8 year olds eat?