Last weekend, we did lots of tie dying – many pics to come later. But… This post is a saga. About wrap pants. Just follow me for a bit…
I got this crazy notion that I needed some light airy pants to wear to the folk music festivals this summer. Also, they would be great for lounging around the house, after a long hot day at the bakery. So, I bought this pair from Dharma Trading. They were beautiful, and fit well when they arrived.
After washing and dying however, they were a bit, um, what is a nice term, scant of fabric on the sides. I was showing more thigh than I cared to.
Fortunately, they fit the Glitter Glue Princess perfectly! Admittedly they are a hair long, but they give her full coverage, which is great. She just likes to fiddle with the ties too much, which is annoying.
I took the pair that didn’t fit and drafted a pattern with an additional 4″ on the side that ties. The nice thing about the pattern is that there is only one real seam in the pants – the crotch seam. Aside from hemming, there really isn’t much to making a pair of these. Winging it a bit and building my own pair, I shortened them to capri length, and came up with this:
They don’t look like much here, but once washed and dried, they look like this:
Forgive the weird slanty thing going on- the tie wasn’t fully tied in the back, so I was pulling on them, which caused the weird tug thing going on.
I like how they dyed up. I just ordered another 6 yards of rayon challis to make more….